Polka Dot Background

Monday, August 22, 2011

The JOY of the Homecoming

It was 4:35pm on Saturday and my daughter and I were waiting in the Passengers Arrivals area of the airport for my son, her brother to arrive.  After 3 weeks with his cousins in a foreign country and too far for him to get WiFi and for us to call regularly, we could not wait to see him.  We weaved our way to the front and centre of the crowd to where the doors open up and all passengers who have arrived have to go through.  His flight said it was "On Time" (which was a lie - we discovered after two hours of waiting), but ignorant to his late arrival, we waited patiently (this is not an easy feat with a nine-year-old, especially my daughter).  There we were waiting, and waiting and waiting, and waiting (kind of like you right now waiting for me to get to my point).

The Arrivals terminal is an amazing place.  You could feel the excitement and anticipation in the room.  People holding up signs to meet up with people they have never seen or met before.  The burly man holding a bouquet of balloons with the words "welcome" on them.  The little girl hanging on the railing repeatedly asking her father where her mom was - "When will Mom walk through the doors."  The lady with her pure-bred shitzu who just had to bring the family puppy to greet her sister (I later learned).  Families from so many backgrounds speaking to each other in different languages and ways, but all of us sharing similar thoughts -"I wonder when they'll step through those doors. Did their plane arrive?  Where are they?  What will they look like?  I can't wait to see them.  I miss them."

The Arrival doors open again and again and there is always a reaction in the crowd.  Someone recognizes the person they are waiting for and all you see is pure JOY on the people's faces.  Little children shouting names and running with their arms outstretched.  The lady who was pulling her suitcase through the door and dropped it the minute she saw her family in the crowd - running to them and being welcomed with open arms and kisses.  Excited waves, smiles and laughter following every reunion.  The mean-looking man sitting in the chair (that I wanted to sit in) who's face turn to a smiling moon when he saw his grandchild and family walk through the doors.  No mean-ness in sight (and wohoo...I got a seat when he left!)

I was thinking about how we would greet my son - would we make eye contact? Should we shout out his name? Should we come up with a dance? and then, there he was walking beside a flight crew member, so he didn't see us - all I caught was a glimpse of his red sweater and found myself speechless and running to meet him at the end of the walkway with my daughter running closely behind me.  And when we finally caught up with him, he smiled and both of us took him into what felt like the biggest hug ever.  That's pure JOY folks.  And if you don't think it exists - visit the airport Arrival area and you'll see it over and over again.


A special note of thanks to my daughter:  We often share "our favorite moments of the weekend"  on our evening walks on Sundays, before the hectic week begins.  Yesterday, my daughter shared that her favorite moment of the weekend was waiting for her brother at the airport and seeing "everyone so happy to see the people they were waiting for."  It was mine too, hence today's post.  Thanks Sha!

No comments:

Post a Comment