Polka Dot Background

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

14 years and still counting...

Yesterday (August 23, 2011), I celebrated 14 years married to a man that helps me to find the joy.lo.la (for you newbies, that means - joy, love and laughter) in life on a regular basis.  Before, I thought it was his responsibility to make it happen for me every day.  Then, I thought that it was more of a partnership and that some days he should bring it and other days I should.  Now 14 years later, I've realized that finding joy.lo.la everyday is my responsibility alone and what he does, is he helps to inspire me to see life in this beautiful way. 

How?  I'm inspired by...
  • The way he laughs at all (ok, most) of my jokes - some are cheesy, corny, not-very-good - but I still get some reaction
  • He comes home everyday and chose a career that would allow him to be with the kids and I - all on his own. 
  • His no-fear, whatever-it-takes attitude in getting a job done (all legal-ish of course)
  • The fact that he can sit and listen to our son play his guitar for hours (of course, always with Joe Jackson input - this, not so great, but still with focused interest)
  • How he has the patience to pour "electric-green" glitter on a piece of tape to decorate a Selena Gomez poster, our daughter just created, take her to the concert 5 hours early and sit through the whole thing so he could talk to her about it later
  • How he wakes up extra early to take the dog out to do his business and walk in the morning, when I originally said I would do it
  • His dedication to his family and mine - and even if he doesn't want to attend the function or do the errand, he always there or gets it done
  • His ability to surprise me - still
  • His thoughtfulness and generosity to those he loves
  • How he can make me really belly-laugh until it hurts and my eyes tear
  • His realness
I hope you all find (or have) someone that inspires you to see joy.lo.la every day. 

And to my husband, thank you for being that inspiration for me.


A Note about Selena:
Yesterday, on our anniversary, we went to the Selena Gomez concert with our daughter - Selena's biggest fan and our son, a reluctant teenager/undercover fan.  My husband reminded me that 14 years ago at our wedding reception we danced to a song by the original artist - Selena - (if you don't know who she is, click here) who Selena Gomez was named after.  We found it ironic that we found ourselves 14 years later listening to Selena, in a way, reborn.  But perhaps it's not ironic, because I feel reborn and because of that, I think our relationship has been too.

My favourite lyrics from the Selena song "Dreaming of You..." 

Late at night when all the world is sleeping
I'd stay up and think of you
And I still can't believe that you came up to me
And said, "I love you; I love you too"

Now I'm dreaming with you tonight
Till tomorrow, and for all of my life
And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be
Then here in my room,
Dreaming with you endlessly...

No comments:

Post a Comment