Polka Dot Background

Friday, August 19, 2011

Work Life & Personal Life - Two pieces of the same Pie

For a long time I've talked about Work Life as if it was separate from my Personal life, but recently decided that it's not. 

I used to say "My real life (i.e. personal life) starts after 5pm" but realized that by saying that, I was saying that between the hours of 9am-5pm (now 8:30am-4:30pm), I wasn't really living, nor making the effort to make my time at work the best it could be.
This way of thinking is no longer acceptable.

Yesterday I participated in a webinar in my "work life" and it focused on how charities (I work for one) could build effective long-term relationships with corporate partners in order to accomplish our mission (basically what I do).   The speaker focused on 3 main points:
  1. Figure out - What are your values?
  2. What are you good at? and,
  3. Always lead with your goals
I realized that in my "personal life", these are questions I'm asking myself right now.  What are my values? what am I good at? and what are the goals I want to accomplish in life?  It's ironic that my work life summarized the questions I want to answer in my personal life and as I listened on, many of the same principles that I need to use to be successful at work are the same as what would work in my personal life.

So I'm back to the conclusion I made at the beginning - Work Life and Personal Life are not  as separate as I once believed, nor are they that different - they're just two pieces of the same Pie.  And I'm going to enjoy every morsel of that Pie.* 
_________________________

*A note about Pie (and completely unrelated to above): 
One thing about me that you need to know (if you don't already) is that I LOVE and appreciate good food especially if it's made with all-natural ingredients.  I decided to use the Pie reference because yesterday, I went to a farmer's market and picked up an organic sirloin steak pie made by The Canadian Pie company and it was delicious!  I'm still thinking about it and it makes my mouth water.  When I love something, I have to share it, so here's a link: http://www.thecanadianpiecompany.com/website/  If you love pie this place is definitely worth checking out.  It was only when looking for the website that I found that there was a retail store in Toronto.  So, when I'm on vacation next week - this will be a for-sure stop. 

2 comments:

  1. I love pie. I checked out the website. It's too bad they don't offer a sugarless, vegan or gluten free crust, however, The pies do sound delicious...strawberry peach yummy, I think I'll bake one next week with agave. Thanks for the idea! From the purple reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome purple reader. Hope your pie turns out yummy. I'll ask a couple of my vegan friends where they seek out pie and will let you know.

    ReplyDelete